Thursday, January 7, 2010

Seniors, 2010

Yesterday, we were in grade school. Today, we’re seniors in high school. Tomorrow we’re going to be living our own homes with a growing family. Where does time go? Really, where does it go?

I remember being in 6th grade and I would be walking the halls of the middle school building, the place where my friends and I all thought was such a big step. We were going to be in middle school. We used to gaze upon the 8th graders and think, crap they are so old. Then when we were the top dogs of the school it didn’t mean so much. We looked upon the 6th graders, reminding ourselves of how we used to be, wondering if they saw us like we used to see the grades above us.

I remember my freshman year. I only had a couple friends who were freshmen, all the others were either sophomores or juniors and a few seniors were sprinkled in the mix. I was in JROTC, too. That was my one connection to everyone. I saw the juniors and couldn’t wait to get there. And then I saw the seniors and was thinking, crap they are so old. Seventeen and eighteen years old seemed so far away when I was thirteen, barely fourteen.

Now it’s our turn. We’re the seniors, class of 2010.

The other day I was thinking about my high school years. Each year was so distinct, so different. But there were so many parts that were the same. I remember sitting in the JROTC office with my friends like it was yesterday. I remember spending one of the last days of spring break, running with kites and writing in the sand like it was yesterday. I remember my first retreat like I was yesterday. I remember meeting one of my now best friends like it was yesterday. Things move quickly.

When someone tells you to take advantage of something because it flies by, believe them. Graduation is in four months. It seems so far away. But I know it’ll be here before any of us realize it. And when you think of all the other things we have coming up, Prom, Grad Nite.. it all makes it seem like the end of the year is moving faster. Where did all the time go? What ever happened?

This year, I have met some of the most amazing people. I have reconciled with some people who I had missed. I broke loose of others. I’ve definitely grown up a bit.

***

Yesterday we were in grade school, today we’re seniors in high school, tomorrow will soon be the next chapter in our life. We’re the class of 2010 (:

No comments: